7 GarageBand Alternatives for Android (2020)
GarageBand was launched in 2004 by Apple. It’s a digital workstation that allows users to create professional audio like podcasts or music. It was exclusively released on iOS devices. Due to the increase in Android mobile device users, several app developers have created their versions of the GarageBand app for android.
These Android digital workstations are powerhouses for creative audio works. Some have studio-quality output. And on this list of GarageBand apps for android devices, we have researched and put together 7 different powerful apps that are encompassing and simple to use. Read on…
1. n-Track Studio Music DAW
This is one of the best GarageBand apps for android. It transforms your device into a recording studio. You can record and playback audio and MIDI tracks. During playback, you can mix and add effects. Editing of songs is also very easy. Your finished works can be shared with other musicians or friends.
You can start with the free version of the app, but to enjoy it to the fullest you need to switch to the pro version. There is a webpage for video tutorials that you can use as guidance when working on the app.
• Mono & stereo audio tracks
• Without in-app purchase, you get 11 tracks
• Built-in synth featuring 128 MIDI instrument sounds.
• Aux and Group channels
• Piano-roll MIDI Editor
• Step Sequencer
• Virtual MIDI keyboard
• EQ with Spectrum analyzer + chromatic tuner
• Importing of tracks from device storage.
• Echo, Reverb, Tremolo, Chorus and Flanger, Pitch shift, Tube Amp, Shift phaser, and compression effect can be easily added to the master channel and any track.
• Plugins of bass and Guitar Amp simulation.
• VocalTune (pitch manipulation and correction plugin)
• Built-in metronome
• Drums & bass groove tracks (one-touch)
• Internal routing of audio
• frequency sampling up to 192 kHz
• Exporting of 16, 24 or 32 bits audio files.
• 64-bit double-precision floating-point audio engine
• Multiple audio output support with USB devices
• Multichannel external USB support for class-compliant audio devices
• Collaboration feature through the integrated Songtree, an online music making community
• Sharing feature to Facebook
2. FL Studio Mobile
This app allows you to create complete multi-track projects and also allows you to save them on your device. FL Studio Mobile is a great GarageBand app for android. You can easily record, edit, sequence, and mix songs.
• A wide range of effects to use in enhancing your mix
• High-quality sampler, synthesizers, sliced loop beats, and drum kits.
• Import and export of MIDI file
• Configurable virtual drum pads and piano-keyboard
• Step sequencer for programming fast percussion
• Solo mixer, per track mute, pan and volume adjustment, effect bus
• Class-compliant MIDI controller support
• Audio recording
• Screen layout mode in an intuitive way and configurable for all screen sizes and resolution.
• Piano roll editor for editing recorded performances or to enter chords and notes
• Full-screen Chromebook and DeX support
• WiFi sharing option with iOS and windows FL Studio Mobile app.
• Project upload in the FL Studio plugin version
• Export songs to MP3, WAV, and FLAC.
3. Music Maker Jam
This Garageband app for android serves as the spark to your music revolution. It’s loaded with the essentials for music creation, mixing, and sharing. It is suitable for all music types like hip hop, RnB, house, trap and so on. You can also create your sound.
• Thousands of studio-quality beats, samples, and audio loops. These loops range from vocals and beats to Basslines and synth leads.
• Over 300 mix packs and over 500 thousand loops including EDM, rock, trap, funk, pop, techno, and so on.
• 8 channel mixed for live recording
• Freely adjust harmonies and tempos
• Edit parts of songs and add real-time effects
• Record your vocals
• Shake your device to remix tracks
• Sharing option to Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and SoundCloud
• Connect with musicians, friends, influencers, DJs, and producers in the integrated music community.
Create wonderful music online with professional instruments, vocals, and a rich loop library. This GarageBand app for android allows you to plug in your instruments. Your projects are stored on the cloud so you can edit it anytime you want.
• Music Creation with a large set of professional and high-quality loops
• Record acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass, and vocals
• Built-in sampled instruments like organ, drums, synths, and piano.
• Preamp with vast high-quality Bass, guitar, and vocal effects
• Save the recordings in the cloud.
• Video chat and invite friends or other artistes for a collaboration
• Sharing option to Twitter, Facebook, and SoundCloud
• Distribution option to Deezer, iTunes, Rhapsody, Spotify, and Google play
5. Caustic 3
This app creates music in real-time. It’s one of the best alternatives to use if you need a GarageBand app for android. It was inspired by rack-mount samplers and synthesizers. This app is optimized for mobile devices.
It features 14 machines which you can use to create your rack:
BeatBox (8-channel sampling drum machine), BassLine (303-like monosynth), Vocoder (8-band harmonic vocoder), PCMSynth (Multi-sample wave synthesizer), Subsynth (Virtual analog subtractive synthesizer), SawSynth (Supersaw-type polysynth), Organ (Hammond-like tonewheel organ with rotary speaker), KSSynth (Karplus-Strong string modeling synth), FMSynth (DX-style 3-operator FM synthesizer), PadSynth (Harmonic table pad synthesizer), 8BitSynth (8bit equation solver synthesizer), 8* Modular (Fully configurable and routable synthesizer).
• Song sequencer
• parametric EQ and limiter with master selection
• Effects rack supporting 2 effects per machine
• Mixer deals with global Delay/Reverb effects.
• Control automation, and powerful editor for modifying the recorded automation curve.
• Easily import your WAV group used in the BeatBox, PCMSynth, Vocoder.
• Uncompressed WAV files (8-16-24-32bit, any sampling rate) are supported
• The PCMSynth loads SoundFont files
• Using USB OTG cable, the Class-compliant USB MIDI controllers can be connected to Android devices supporting USB host mode and running on Android 3.2.
Download on GooglePlay
Purchase the full version
Download on GooglePlay
6. Audio Evolution Mobile Studio
This is a complete multi-track DAW (digital audio workstation) alternative GarageBand app for android. It’s a perfect replacement for the tape machine and it’s more encompassing. You can start utilizing the power of this MIDI recording studio with USB audio/MIDI.
• Drum pattern editor
• MIDI sequencing
• Multitrack audio recording/playback
• Loop playback
• Mixer automation and effect parameters
• Virtual instruments based on SoundFonts
• Punch in/out
• Software monitoring for USB audio devices and Android devices that have low enough latency
• Latency correction for track synchronization
• Unlimited number of tracks
• Unlimited number of groups
• Low latency and multi-channel recording/playback using a USB audio interface
• Sample rate conversion
• Non-linear non-destructive editing with move, split, trim, remove, cut/copy/paste, cross-fade, and range editing
• Import MP3, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, Ogg/Vorbis audio files (Android 4.1 or higher supports m4a and others)
• Mastering (mixdown) to stereo MP3, WAV, AIFF, FLAC or OGG file
• Each track has controls for volume, mute, panning, solo, arm, 3 insert effects, 3 EQ with mid-sweep, 2 effect sends and output bus selection
• Offline effects (normalize, fade in/out, Unlimited undo/redo, pitch shift, reverse, time-stretching)
• Real-time effects (chorus, delay, dual delay, reverse delay, compressor, reverb, noise gate, flanger and so on)
• MIDI remote control
• Several grid options for aligning your samples with tempo and time signature settings
• Repeat samples to create loops with several options
• Projects are interchangeable with the iOS version
• Export to other DAW’s by rendering all tracks to separate audio files
• Cloud sync to Google Drive
This is one of the most complete remixing app for creating your sound. It’s an essential GarageBand app for android. Remixlive is also an award-winning app.
• Perfect sync in launching loop
• Real-time finger drum using note samples and percussion with a Drum grid alongside the existing Loop Grid. Also with an extra grid and an overdub mode that you can fill with new patterns.
• Alter the sounds with 6 live-controllable FX + 6 beat repeat pads.
• Advanced sample editing (Transpose & Reverse and ADSR)
• Import songs from your library
• Ableton Link (play in sync Ableton Live or with any Link-compatible app)
• Pad Recording (sounds are captured through the device’s mic)
• Live recording through the Android device’s microphone. It captures any voice, sound or instrument.
• Mixer (levels, EQs, filters & Mute/Solo on each channel)
• 50+ sample packs for every taste
• Sample editor (pan, gain, transpose, ADSR, Reverse & more)
• Grid (48 on Tablet and 24 pads on mobile)
• Colored pads (customize your grid with 16 colors)
• Import M4A, WAV, MP3, MP4, and Ogg files
• Export & import packs between devices.
• Record your performance & share it via SoundCloud or email
8. G-Stomper studio
This app is optimized for electronic live performances with studio quality. The way the integrated VA-Beast feature is designed makes this GarageBand app for Android suitable for both beginners and pro music producers. This feature comes with a polyphonic virtual analog performance synthesizer which supports advanced FM, multi-sample based synthesis, and waveform. It also has a poly grid with a polyphonic step sequencer that has 12 tracks.
The Mixer option allows you to mix up to 36 channels with parametric 3-band equalizer and several effects to insert per channel.
The Arranger option allows you to do live pattern setting and song arrangement with 64 concurrent Patterns.
There is a built-in piano keyboard and drum machine/pad.
• It has a 32bit float DSP algorithms which make the audio engine a very high-quality one
• You can play your recordings in sync with Ableton Live or any other Link-enabled app
• You can use the sample modulation in real-time
• Easy switch to portrait mode
• Multi-filters for voice
• Over 47 effect types (Dynamic Processors, Distortions, Resonant Filters & more)
• Sharing feature for exported music
9. Walk Band
This is a great alternative GarageBand app for Android users when it comes to having a toolkit of virtual musical instruments in a place. It comes with three different musical instruments with sound variation and they all are of studio quality.
The multitrack synthesizer allows midi and voice track recording and editing, piano roll mode editing, and conversion of midi to mp3.
Your finished works can be uploaded on the cloud.
• Bass guitar solo & chords mode
• Guitar solo and chords mode
• Drum machine (Beats Pad Mode)
• Drum pad & kit mode
• Piano keyboard
• USB midi peripheral keyboard support
This is an award-winning metronome previously featured on Gizmodo, Techcrunch, MusicRadar, among others, for building the future of rhythm. Soundbrenner consists of multiplayer sync, perfect bpm, and setlists. It’s one of the best GarageBand app for Android due to its accuracy in getting the right precision.
The interface is excellent. It’s easy to navigate for beginners and packed with pro features regardless of your chosen instrument. You can use it in a recording studio, live performances, or just for practice. You can also customize it with sounds and themes based on your mood.
When it comes to innovation, they are also well known for making the first smart wearable for musicians called the Soundbrenner Pulse.
This feature allows you to sync with up to five musicians with the perfect bpm that you all can use in playing your instruments seamlessly. This syncing feature allows everyone to keep the right rhythm.
• You can choose different click sounds and enable your camera LED or screen flash
• The themes are in light and dark mode
• The setlist management is world-class. You can save your rhythms and use them in the metronome
• The metronome is very precise
• Seamlessly change the time signature, set accents, and subdivision.
Try playing around with subdivisions and accents/time signatures. Once you pick a time signature, choose an accent and also set different subdivisions. It’s a great way to customize your music.
Gone are the days when you’ll need a device running on iOS before you can create professional podcasts and music on your mobile devices. These GarageBand GarageBand Alternatives for Android (2020) are invaluable, especially if you’re a mobile musician.
However, some technical knowledge in audio production is needed to understand these apps and to use them to the fullest. Also, the links of the apps are added at the end of their description. Some are free so you can start utilizing them immediately. Nevertheless, to enjoy the full benefits you’ll have to still switch to the pro version.